Thursday, February 24, 2011

I Promise to get better

I have been really bad about updating the blog and boy have we had a busy 2011 (how sad it's only February!!)

Most of you probably already now that Hannah has had a few visits to Children's Memorial Hospital. She decided one day that she wasn't going to drink or eat anything and despite our best efforts she became dehydrated and ended up in the pediatric ICU with a sodium of 178 (normal is around 140). Over several days they were able to bring her sodium down with IV fluids and we were able to go home even though Hannah was still not back to her normal self. Her labs looked like she was fighting a virus.

We continued to fight every day to get every little bit of food and fluids in Hannah that we could. She still continued to spike fevers every 3-4 days. And finally the morning of the big blizzard Hannah thought it would be fun to have a fever of 104. We saw the doctor the next morning and he checked her sodium which again made it up to 162. So back to Children's we went. This time I wasn't leaving without a feeding tube. And the plan was to even put in her G tube but she continued to have fevers. So they sent us home and schedule surgery for 2 weeks later.

So here we are 2 weeks later, G tube in place and Hannah decides about an hour before we were going to go home to have another fever. So we start all over with the blood tests and chest xrays to see if there is any infection. I guess I am thankful that the fever didn't come until after the surgery so that we didn't have to reschedule and make another trip.

More updates to come........

0 comments: